Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Tough Little Princess - Carmen Leolani White



UPDATE!!!!!

As of 10/15 I have raised over $250, enough to purchase a brick in Carmen's honor at the Children's Discovery Center in Honolulu. This is all thanks to Blue Coast CrossFit and friends of BCCF. Thank you so very much for your kindness and generosity.

Now what? I want to keep fundraising!!!! The marathon isn't until 12/8. Please donate to Carmen's Makana, read more here: http://carmenleolaniwhite.blogspot.com/2012/10/carmens-makana-gift.html 

Checks can be made our to Heather White or Chris White, in the note, "Carmen's Makana" and sent to:
62-1218 Anekona Street
Kamuela, Hawaii
96743

What is Carmen's Makana? Every 6 months the Whites give a $300 cash award to a family who has a child fighting cancer to help with medical costs.
 

If you missed the first post, here is why I am fundraising and running the marathon:

Coach Emily here.

Many of you know I am training to run the Honolulu Marathon on December 8. You might not know why.

I am running it for and fundraising for Carmen Leolani White, the most special little girl that I ever met. She died exactly a year ago today of ALL Leukemia, she was only 5 years old. I was lucky enough to know her, if only for a short time. I babysat Carmen and her brother Trevor when I moved to the Big Island. The White family changed my life forever, even though they might not know it. Carmen was a special little girl, like no other kid I've ever met. Her spirit, her love and her family truly impacted me in the most positive way. There were so many special moments I was lucky to have witnessed in the time I knew Carmen and her family. Every day I am thankful for them. I wrote a blog post last year about Carmen if you'd like to learn more about her (http://somewhereoverkona.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/sweetest-carmen/) or visit their family's blog (http://carmenleolaniwhite.blogspot.com/). 

I know that every time I go out and train, and start complaining about how much running sucks, I think about the fight that Carmen had. It makes it a little easier. So next time you are feeling sorry for yourself during that really tough WOD, think about Carmen. Remember to be grateful for your life because it is taken from so many too soon. Love and miss that Tough Little Princess. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.