Friday, April 12, 2013

The Air Squat & Green Eggs and Ham

The air squat. At first glance, a simple movement. As CrossFitters I am sure we feel a bit of jealousy when we see a baby or toddler crouch down into the PERFECT squat and perform whatever activity at the bottom of their squat. It's just a natural movement for them, because it is indeed the quickest and most efficient way to get toward the ground....sit on a chair...sit on a toilet...you get the picture! ;)

We have been spending lots of time focusing on the air squat with BCCF Kids, and we will continue to do this. It's an essential movement that we must master to progress to the next kids class and eventually carry load safely. But...we make it all fun!

You might hear us use a variety of cues that you'll never hear in an adult group class. Obviously kids learn differently and they don't know what hips are, or "rock bottom" or
"squeeze your shoulder blades". Pretending to be angry gorillas, waving your eagles or butterflies, and dancing with your hands on your hips are all different cues we might use. I really like to add air squats into sprint relay races. The kids get to run as fast as they can...but before the next person can go, they have to demonstrate the "perfect" air squat.

CF Kids HQ published this great journal article that took teaching the air squat one step further. If you subscribe to the CF Journal you can check out the entire article here. To summarize, every kid learns differently. Repetition and varying repetition is key (especially with the younger age group). Dr Seuss anyone?


"Do you like green eggs and ham?
I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
Would you like them here or there?
I would not like them here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.
Would you like them in a house?
Would you like them with a mouse?
I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.

As the CF Journal writes, It’s hard to forget the phrase “green eggs and ham” or the
name of Sam-I Am when they’re repeatededly presented in novel ways: here, there, anywhere, in a house and with a mouse."

This kind of repetition is what we will bring to the kids program.

You can repeat the same cue over and over again but it might not click until you say it differently or demo it differently. I think we experience this a lot as adults too, right? With the air squat for kids....if it isn't making sense, why not air squat over an object, or to the beat of a song, or jumping air squats? Can you air squat in a box? With a fox? ha ha ha :)

-BCCF Kids Coaches











No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.